Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Seemed Like A Good Idea at the Time...

After cocktails at sunset on a rooftop bar known as El Nido (above the restaurant Chez Elena), Ann and I teetered our way down a steep hill to the town below. (I say teetered not as a reflection of our state of sobriety but because that’s what walking in Puerto Vallarta is all about). Tonight, we decided we’d eat at one of those restaurants south of the Rio de la Cuale that feature “on the sand” dining.

La Margarita was the first one we came to. Softly lit palm trees hovering over tables set halfway between the boardwalk and shoreline instantly charmed us. By the time we’d ordered filet mignon for Ann and snapper for me, we were basking in the atmosphere and listening to a group of Mariachis sing “El Relos.”

Then, near disaster struck.

I heard Ann shriek, “Feet up!” and as I watched my camera bag float away, we realized either the tide was coming in or an unreported earthquake had occurred somewhere.

Undaunted, we dug into our meal and merely raised our feet whenever it seemed prudent.

Eventually, another balladeer joined us--this time, a handsome young man from Venezuela. Since I didn’t know any songs from his country, I asked him to sing his favorite. With one eye on the encroaching surf and the other on the fingers strumming his guitar, the poor guy gamely began his song.

Alas, it was not to be.

This was above and beyond "feet up."

The next thing we knew, we were standing on the boardwalk, looking back at overturned chairs and two waiters hauling our table out of the surf.

Hmm. Kinda made us wonder about those “softly lit palm trees” we’d been sitting under. And exactly whose electrical standards they were wired to….


3 comments:

John said...

You sound like you are having a much tougher time with this vacation than one would expect. Like it is a battle or that awful four letter word starting with a w - WORK. Do you get to do any relaxing and smelling the bird of paradises? Or is it birds of paradise? Or whatever flower they have?

Randy said...

Oh, geez...I must really suck as a writer if that's the way these posts are coming across. They're supposed to be humorous, John! If you could see/hear the videotape I took as that all happened, and could hear Ann and I laughing hysterically, you'd know. Hmmm...guess it didn't translate well into prose. Just so you know, tongue is always firmly in cheek.

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh; this was the best and funniest dinner of the trip. I think John is jealous.