Friday, November 11, 2005

No News

In case anyone’s wondering, I haven’t had any news yet on the requested full I sent to the unnamed publishing house. Nor have I heard on the partial I sent to another house. Shoot, I haven’t even heard anything on the contest whose finalists were supposed to be announced “by the beginning of November.”

As they say, no news is good news, right?

Well….most houses don’t promise a quick turnaround…some even tell ya up front it could be a year before they get back to you. But, I suspect that if your initial query really piques their interest, they put you on the fast track. Or, not. Sigh. Who knows?

Meanwhile, my little fingers should be tapping out a new book with record speed…but for some reason, they’re moving like slugs over the keyboard. Am I looking for validation before I put forth the effort? I dunno. I hope not because the odds of hearing anything favorable on any of the above submissions are so, so, minimal…and yet, sometimes it’s hard to forge ahead when it could all be for nothing.

Take my second manuscript. (Please, ha ha.) I write a pretty good query letter and NO ONE seems to wanna see this orphan. Not that I’ve even begun to saturate the market with submissions but still…to have queried 15 agents and not even get a partial requested…that’s not a good sign. So, did I spend thousands of hours on something no one will ever look at??

Good thing I have a day job, huh?

1 comment:

John said...

Not to burst your bubble. I'm critique partners with an author who needed several chapters given one last look over a weekend. I did my part and she submitted it at 8 am Monday morning. At 11 am, she got a response accepting the book and asking for three more (it was the first of a series) Now she has a deadline and is deserately trying to figure out what to write next. Kind of one of those you get what you wish for oopses.

Another writer I knew got an ultumatum from her husband, publish by January or get a job. (she had quit to write) in November she got a letter accepting her book. While reading the letter and making sandwiches for the kid's lunch, her husband got a phone call from a company requesting the movie rights for $500,000. After recovering from the shock, he took her butter knife and told her he would finish making the sandwiches and she could write.

Not that anyone has broken down my door in the effort to buy my book rights. However, being the proud owner of two sort of published books, with one selling over 100 copies now, I'm at least off the ground.

Moral of the blog. Don't give up. These people did it. Even I did something. So you can.