Friday, January 05, 2007

Edging Closer

I know you're all waiting for an update on my progress toward ending the long national nightmare known as "finishing Leftovers." Well, good news. I wrote another two pages. And, I SWEAR, I'm on the second-to-last-scene. Okay, maybe third-to-last. Oh, hell...who knows...? Another chapter could always pop up.

To distract myself, I perused the beginning of the Nano Project last night. Geez, until that WIP has a name...anyway, that one's looking better and better (if I do say so myself--and I do). Recall for a moment this is the story begun during the November frenzy. I wrote about 150 pages "on the wing" and lately (after a flurry of brainstorming in my critique group and reading Miss Snark's Hook-o-meter--or whatever she called it) I convinced myself it was a piece of crap. (Ha, something new, huh?) Mainly, I figured I'd woefully underplanned the heroine's external goal...as in...she didn't have one.

Imagine my surprise and glee when I discovered in reading the first ten pages, she does INDEED have a goal. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the study of craft for five years pays off after all! Not only that, but (I say in all modesty) the thing has REAL energy and pacing. Granted I only read the first 25 pages, but still...that's saying something.

Now if only I could wind up the Old...and find a title for the New.

No comments: