Monday, January 08, 2007

I Don't Want What I Can't Have

(That’s a song title, by the way. Sung by Sinead O’Connor.)

Romance novels (especially category ones of the Harlequin variety) get a bad rap for being formulaic. Yet, as any author knows, all good stories, (from Star Wars to The Wizard of Oz) have at their core the internal and external goal of the hero(ine).

Part of the “formula” involves creating a storyline in which the hero(ine) confronts the obstacle preventing him/her from achieving the external goal and overcoming it because he/she is not the same person at the end of the book that he/she was at the beginning. That’s called character arc.

Well, I discovered something this weekend.

In most stories, the way in which the hero(ine) changes or what the character LEARNS is what gives them the ability to achieve their goal in the end.

Guess what? Not in my stories.

Nope. In my stories, the character figures out she had the wrong goal in the first place, thereby removing the necessity to achieve anything.

Hm. Too close a parallel to my own life perhaps…?

1 comment:

John said...

I've been told most novels are autobiographies. So, your's should work.

Noticed Malibu burning on the tube. Any smoke?