Saturday, October 15, 2005

Decisions, Decisions

Multiple choice exams always send me into a mental frenzy. Even if I know the material backwards and forwards, just throw me extra options and I’ll find a way to rationalize them into the right answer. Doesn’t matter if I’m being tested on American history or who gets to go first at a four-way stop.

Call my wishy-washy. Call me a Pollyanna. Whatever. I can always make a case for the other side and I’m a damn good Devil’s Advocate.

Unfortunately, these are not valuable traits in a writer. Writer’s need to make decisions about which they hold firm convictions.

Which is why I seemed to have smashed into a brick wall in my latest WIP. So many directions, so many options…which do I choose?

I’M STUCK! STUCK! STUCK!

Truly. For the life of me, I don’t seem to be able to add another word to the fifty pages I’ve written. I’ve tried for three days now.

Who said writing was easy?

Oh. No one said that?

No comments: