Monday, May 28, 2007

Color Me Gone

You may have noticed something missing from ye old blog.

Yep, tonight I wiped out all the links to Triskelion Publishing and my book, Stealing Amy. I'm not going to dissect or rehash what's been going on with them. Suffice to say that I, along with the rest of their authors, were given the opportunity to take back the rights to our books when some stuff hit the fan. At the time, I elected not to for two reasons: 1) the company didn't breach my contract, so I believed I should honor my end of the bargain, and 2) once a book has been "published"--whether in e-format or print, it's not likely to get published elsewhere.

I came to that decision after much soul-searching because, believe me, the temptation was there, to yank my book. I didn't say anything publicly at the time, but the cringe factor started to build--especially in terms of what I see as my reputation.

Anyhoo, then the rumors started buzzing tonight about another management shake-up. My guess is that whether I take back my rights or not is now a moot decision. We'll see.

In the meantime, I checked out their (our!) author blog tonight to see if any official word had been put out about the rumor. That's when I decided I couldn't be associated with them anymore. At the risk of pissing a few people off, let's just say the post I read isn't what I deem appropriate as a public representation of an entire group of authors.

Straw that broke the camel's back, if you will.

2 comments:

John said...

As a "former" contracted editor for Triskelion, I commend you, first for your commitment to them for longer than I had, and second, for being honorable about leaving.

Brooke said...

I know this was a really hard decision...kind of an end to an era and all.

I'm really sorry and sad to see the direction Trisk is going... it's also frightening how quickly a publisher can rise and fall.

But, your parting ways with them is a career decision, a career move. And just another step on your path to long-term success!

And as John pointed out, you've done it with the "class" that's part of you.