Tuesday, June 07, 2005

It's Called BICHOK

For you nonwriters out there, this is the acronym for Butt In Chair, Hands On Keyboard. It’s the battle cry for forcing yourself to write. Last night, I concluded we need a couple more letters.

I’m in the middle of a putting together a good-bye video for the sales manager who’s retiring from our company after 25 years. In fact, I BICHOKed from 9:30a.m. to 6:30p.m. on Saturday. In the end, after countless complications, I was pretty satisfied with the result, only to discover my software program was outdated and that, in fact, I couldn’t save my project as a DVD. (Okay, so I’m no whiz at this stuff.)

To make a long story short, it turns out that all the cool new movie making software seems to run on XP. Guess what my desktop uses? Right. ME. (Am I the only one who ended up with that?) Luckily, my laptop runs on XP so I figured, fine. I’ll download all the upgrades, including the moviemaker.

No problem, I thought.

I rerouted the phone connection (yes, I know I’m a dinosaur) to the laptop and started the process.

I blinked.

Approximate time to complete: 12 hours.

Were they kidding? Surely they must be.

I made the necessary clicks and the download began. Meanwhile, I BICHOKed at my desktop and revised Stealing Amy.

Guess what? I got more done in the next three hours than I had the past week. Could it be because I didn’t check email every five minutes? That I couldn’t IM for an hour? That I couldn’t blah-blah-blog?

I’d never thought of myself as one of those writers who spends more time surfing than writing, but now…I’m not so sure. I mean, I even started writing a synopsis for God’s sake. How desperate is that??

Hence, I nominate two additional letters, making it BICHOKID. Butt In Chair, Hands On Keyboard, Internet Disconnected.

By the way, the upgrade successfully downloaded sometime around 1 a.m.

2 comments:

John said...

I have 54 MPS, which means the download itself has to wait for the message saying download to finish appearing on my screen before it's done. Sometimes really long (20MB+) downloads take up to five seconds. I used to have 28.8 KPS and the seconds were hours. Don't miss it.

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

Ooh. I'm lucky. I've got cable internet. DSL. Yeah, baby. Used to have dial up. Nasty, pokey stuff. But I digress.

Regarding the BIDHOKID. Cool, the progress you made. I've been pushing myself to stay off the Net so much and my productivity is going up.

Well, the muse is sticking with me, so gotta go...