Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Only in L.A….and probably NY, Chicago…

What’s a person gotta do to get a good concert seat in this town?

Last week, I learned paying beaucoup bucks on Ebay isn’t the answer. See, as a birthday present to myself, I bought a FRONT ROW ticket to see Luis Miguel at the Universal Amphitheater. Only, when I arrived, it was not the “front row seat” of my dreams. Oh, sure. It was in the front row of the PERMANENT seats. But there was a wide aisle plus eight rows of FOLDING CHAIRS in FRONT of my FRONT ROW seat.

How many ways did this suck? Let me count them for you.

1. Constant traffic passing to and fro. (Where are these people going? Why are they so busy? Didn’t they pay money to see a concert too?) Naïve me. I truly thought by buying a FRONT ROW seat, I’d be er, close to the friggin’ STAGE, not at the edge of the cattle pen.

2. After a rousing opener, Luis slowed things down with about twenty minutes of ballads which he chose to sing from a seated position onstage. Better to bond with the FRONT ROWS, I guess. Me? I had to watch the big screen TV in order to see anything at all. (Did I mention I spent an obscene amount of money for this seat???)

3. My seat was also an aisle seat, and because I was in the FRONT ROW, a security guard was stationed inches away to prevent the hoi polloi from rubbing elbows with the elite. He stood, squatted, stood, squatted, stood, squatted…sometimes having lengthy conversations with scantily clad tartlets trying to brazen their way closer to the stage. Can you spell d-i-s-t-r-a-c-t-I-o-n??

Grrrrr. Never again. Lesson learned.

No comments: