Friday, July 21, 2006

Roadblocks

Remember the story about flying into a storm in my dad’s airplane? How he tried going left…going right…over…under…?

At the moment, that’s how I feel about Leftovers (my work-in-progress). I’m stuck, stuck, STUCK.

So hey−instead of working on it, I’ll blog about it.

See, I was on SUCH a roll. Words were flying off my fingertips…pages were adding up fast. I could see the light at the end of the tunnel! I was heading down the backstretch…when….

SCREECH.

I came to a thundering halt.

It’s that whole FALLING IN LOVE thing again.

(Expletive deleted)

If that damned (expletive included) hero and heroine could just remain friends, finishing the book would be so much easier. (Hm. Don’t read anything between the lines there.)

Anyway, it’s not that I haven’t figured out (and built in) the underlying impetus that causes them to realize they can’t live without each other (or at least keep from tearing their clothes off)…but I’m having a hard time transitioning it.

Then I happened to check my spreadsheet and noticed a curious little note at the bottom. Something about the heroine’s backstory I’d totally forgotten. Hm….this could work!

But first, I had to read through the beginning to see how it fit in. Unlike my previous two books (which I over-edited to death as I wrote) I haven’t gone back to re-visit this one much. So…I started reading.

And, guess what?

I liked it so much, I read through to the end. That’s gotta be a good sign, right?

Sadly, good or not, I still haven’t been able to get them into bed. Maybe if I had some recent practical experience to base it on…

********************************************
And now, because inquiring minds wanna know, here's a status report on my life:
Garage Door: Currently opens and closes electrically, but remote has gone dead. Yeah, yeah. I know it needs a battery, but what kind? How small? How do you get it apart?

Air Conditioning: Dead. Done. Finito. Need to replace entire unit. At this point, leaving kids unattended in my house would probably earn me a long stay in the slammer.

More roadblocks.

(On a positive note, I haven’t lost any weight yet, but I also haven’t cheated ONCE in FOUR days. Not once! AND, I finally made it back to the gym. Woo Hoo!)

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled program….

No comments: