Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Damn...Sooooo Close

Long-time blog readers may recall an earlier post in which I lamented the tragic turn my life took when I was unable to successfully meet and marry the cute Beatle.

Knowing he's available again, well it seeks like Kismet, doesn't it?

So, I when I awoke this morning to the news that my favorite local radio guys, Mark and Brian, were holding a contest for tickets to one of Paul's PRIVATE concerts, I thought: here it is! My chance at last! Somehow, I'd WIN the contest, SECURE the tickets, and...well...just to be in his presence--surely, the rest would follow, right?

I lay (laid?) in bed, listening to the rules. Starting with the word "IN," the boys would add another word at each break, and all I had to do was come up with the lyric, the song title, and the album on which it appeared. There would be no re-capping of the words already given, they would be given at random, and the answer had to be exact. No more of the lyric, no less.

Hm, I thought. Sounds like a job for GOOGLE.

By the time I had "IN," "A," and "USE," I figured I had enough. Even though 6.0 earthquakes don't get me out of bed before it's time to get up, I dragged myself to the computer and typed in: " in a use Paul McCartney lyric."

Bingo.

About four entries down, some song I'd never heard of that began with "Down in the garden." I hurried back to the radio. A commercial was on, so I hopped in the shower.

(This is the part where you haul out the hankies.)

By the time I emerged, the boys were apologizing for how long it had taken to decide the previous caller hadn't quite gotten it right. That's when I should have rushed to the phone but, nooooo...I foolishly thought I should wait to hear what people were guessing so I'd know I was in the ballpark.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I should have known that if the guy was that close, EVERYONE now knew the song.

Sure enough. The next caller, very carefully recited: Down in the garden...blah, blah, blah...whatever the rest of it was.

Man...there went my dreams.

Again.

No comments: