Wednesday, October 08, 2008

A Minor Inconvenience

I headed out of the parking lot Monday afternoon, using my customary route to reach the freeway. As I approached the on-ramp, I noticed the signs barricading the entrance.

Damn.

I HATE when CalTrans screws with me.

Then I remembered...I knew the reason for the blocked entrance, and I shivered.

In 1970, serial killer Mack Ray Edwards confessed to burying one of his victims along the 23 Freeway which was then under construction. Edwards hung himself in prison, so he's long gone, and I don't know why it's taken all these years, but forensic experts are finally excavating a site where they believe they will find the remains of a sixteen-year old boy murdered forty years ago.

In the midst of these turbulent times--when politicians can't be trusted and CEOs are raping the economy--it's somehow comforting to know that local government is spending the money and taking the time to reach a resolution regarding this young man's death.

Even if their successful efforts mean nothing more than bringing closure to whatever family members are left forty years later.

No comments: