Saturday, July 23, 2005

And So I Wait

Yesterday I had a friend replace the battery in my car and since it wasn't even totally dead yet, I was feeling pretty good about myself. Hell, I’ve had the car for two years and haven’t even had it serviced. (I know, I know. I hear you men out there shrieking in dismay, but see, I have this theory about the automobile industry—I think all that servicing is a diabolical plot to wear cars out faster.)

Anyway, so I happily drove away in my fully charged car only to discover that the radio now wants a code.

A CODE! I don’t HAVE the friggin’ code! I don’t have the MANUAL (long story).

I called my brother who promised to get on the case (by contacting his friend, the wholesaler, from whom I purchased the thing) but, well...if you knew my brother, you’d understand I don’t wanna wait until next year to hear the dulcet tones of Melissa Manchester on my CD player.

So, where else do I go for answers but the Internet.

I Googled “Mercedes Radio Code” and found several resources (aha! this is a common problem!). Tried to find one for free but gave up.

The most promising website was www.radio-code.com which had a place to click on for getting the code and one for using the code. First, I had to research whether my radio had to be removed in order to obtain the serial number. Didn’t look like it, but just to be sure, I did more research to figure out whether the number I got off it was in fact the serial number. Hmm. Couldn’t tell.

Finally, I decided the hell with it. Let’s just start entering stuff and see what happens.

Clicked on Mercedes and entered the year, make, model, and VID number. Hmmm...didn’t even ASK for a radio serial number. Things were looking up.

Paid $48 (yes, forty-eight dollars) through PayPal and, voila! Supposedly, my code number is winging its way through the Internet and will arrive in 30 minutes to 24 hours. At this point, I was high-fiving mid-air and clapping myself on the back.

Only one thing. AFTER I paid the $48, PayPal sent me back to the radio site and there was this little message that said something like: Because Mercedes vary, we will be unable to assist you with the unlocking process.

Perfect. Wish they'd told me that BEFOE I paid the $48.

So, now I’m waiting for an all-important email which, once received, I probably won’t be able to do a damn thing with.

2 comments:

John said...

You sure any MB dealer won't do this for free?

Randy said...

But that would be too easy......
No, seriously, I saw a lot of posts from dissatisfied customers who'd gone that route...the guy I bought it from is in Arizona over the weekend, but he's supposed to get it for me on Monday. Yes, my brother actually called him. Yay, Barry!