Thursday, November 09, 2006

NaNo Week Two

Okay, clearly, the NaNo guys aren't mathematicians, 'cuz that widget thingy I imported ain't working right. Here I was merrily typing along, admittedly smug, and relying on the widget thingy for accuracy--I thought I was staying ahead of the game. But, nooooooo. If you do the calculations, I'm apparently consistently BEHIND.

Permit me to do it for you:

I need to average 1666 words a day to reach 50,000 in thirty days. Today is the ninth day so by tonight I should be at 14,994 if I wanna stay on track. But it already shows me in the plus column! Which, like I say, ain't right. In fact, I have to write roughly 2774 words to catch up.

Yikes. You know how many manuscript pages that translates to??? Well, I'll tell ya. It translates to roughly eleven. CURSE the guy (or girl) who came up with whatever formula's behind that widget thingy.

In other NaNo news, today I'd like to discuss the main drawback to performing this exercise. See, for my money, balls-out writing fosters lazy writing. And man, I'm doing a ton of it. In some cases, I don't worry--like if I'm rolling along and run into a blank for a good metaphor, I just type a long underline and move on. Or, say I encounter a new character and need a name--I grab the first one that comes to mind. That's the kind of stuff that's easy to fill in or change later. But other stuff--like all those "was" sentences...they make me nervous. Once I write something, I have a helluva time imagining it written another way. Well, that's not entirely true. I can re-work it, re-structure it--but in doing so, I run the risk of forcing it into something awkward. Hate when that happens. If you'll remember a post from a couple weeks ago, I can spend an hour on one sentence, so the prospect of of spending an hour on each sentence of the manuscript makes me queasy as hell.

Still...it's nice to think that at the end of the month, I'll have a pretty good grasp of the story. Not the entire book of course, because even after 50,000 words, there will still be about another 30,000 to write. (How depressing is that?)

I keep reminding myself that, according to legend, Lani Diane Rich wrote a NaNo novel, spent a year editing it, then voila: "Time Off For Good Behavior" and a Rita Award.

Yep, it could happen to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

buy facebook likes
facebook likes

http://www.chinariversproject.org/?q=node/101 http://www.msstudentlounge.com/Default.aspx?TabId=60&id=767
1000 facebook likes 1000 facebook likes buy facebook likes
i gota virus or someting from btjunkie im sure ur familiar with that site. i go on theyre and get games like i normally do and one of them ****** up my pc. i used avg and some other thing and it helped alittle bit. at first it wouldnt even let me pull up task manager to end something that wasnt working. but my pc isnt completly healed. its slow as a mofu, and my internet connection changed to 10.0 mbps. and it freezes at times and i need to reboot it. but when i turn it on bfore i can do anything something pops up and says error loading C:\WWINDOWS\system32\msaouahn.dll the specified module could not be found

buy facebook likes facebook likes [url=http://1000fbfans.info]facebook likes [/url] 1000 facebook likes