Friday, July 18, 2008

Paying Attention On The Job

The following is a true story. The names have not been changed to protect the innocent, however literary license has been taken to…y’know…make the action a tad more interesting.

Travel back with me to yesterday where I’m standing in Barry’s office, studying the confusion on his face.

Barry: The State Board says we underpaid the sales tax last quarter.

Randy: Hm. Imagine that.

Barry: I can’t figure out what I did.

Making my way over to his side, I peer over his shoulder at the return while he points at two figures.

Barry: See, those are the first and second pre-payments right there but the amounts don’t seem right.

Randy: Let’s look at the check register.

He digs out the notebook where he keeps a record of manually-written checks. The information is in the following format: Date, Check Number, Payee, Amount.

Randy (after some thought): Very clever. Instead of paying the AMOUNTS, you paid the CHECK NUMBERS. Nice rounding, though.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Ohmigosh!!!!!!!!!!!! This is WAY too funny!!!!!!!!!! I laughed and laughed!