Friday, April 06, 2007

Stop Me If You've Heard This Before...

...but DAMN, the book I'm working on now is good.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I said the same thing a couple months ago, didn't I? And, guess what? I haven't written one new word.

This is the Nano project again--the one without a title that, I swear to God, will probably end up being "The Nano Project" forever. I read it again last night, and I wuv, wuv, wuv it. The only problem--the one that keeps sending me off to other writerly things like editing old manuscripts and submitting to True Romance--is that the plot is waaaay complex. Too complex for my brain? Maybe. Hope not.

I made some notes last night. See, the way it work is this: you got your hero and heroine. Then you got your secondary characters--about eight in all. My plot requires each of them to have a separate motive for killing the hero and heroine. (Are you following so far? Yeah, me either). So I connected all the dots pretty well, except a couple dots are kinda cliche and obvious. Those I have to work on. And one character is stumping me. Can't figure out her motive for killing anyone...which kinda tells me, she oughta turn out to be the villain.

Argh. Spreadsheet anyone??

But I will persevere. I must. This book's too good not to (and when's the last time you heard me brag like that??)

I toted up the old word count on this baby last night and it stands at 45,000. About half the book. My New Year's goal was to finish it by April.

Woops.

Okay, so how about I finish it before the conference in July? Huh? Is that too much to ask? Hell, if I can whip out those TR stories in a week (7500 words), I should be able to write another entire BOOK by July.

Yeah, right.

Stop me if you've heard this before.


No comments: