Thursday, May 19, 2005

"Romance Writer" No More


Nah, I’m not hanging up the keyboard. Just re-thinking what I call myself.

Look, I’m no prude. But romance writers had enough of an image problem before the unabashed love affair with erotica took off.

Some of the covers say it all, and if you don’t believe me, click on
Worst Covers
and scroll down to "Rumor Has It" which depicts...well, you tell me.

From bodice rippers to blow jobs. Yeah, we’ve come a long way, baby.

From now on, I write women’s fiction.

3 comments:

John said...

Nice link. Not exactly show and tell.

I write romantic stories. Doesn't really put me in a category. But, then category is a category. Have yet to figure out what single title means.

Brenda said...

Why place romance on it at all? When people ask, I simply say "I'm a writer." If they continue speaking on it, I add "comedy" or "suspense".

Or my favorite: Romantic suspense - where someone's getting a good lay, and someone's going to die.

Mind if I add your blog to my blogroll?

Randy said...

Ha...great minds think alike...I ususally say romantic suspense or romantic comedy. If you just say "romance" the next question is, "Oh, so you write dirty books, huh?" (that came from my own stepbrother).

Feel free to add a link to my blog, Brenda
:-) I'll add yours to mine as soon as I remind myself how to do it (and, I still haven't mastered getting them to show up on their own separate lines)