Tuesday, April 26, 2005

It's That Time Of Year...

I don’t know what came over me yesterday, but I finally dragged myself back to the gym. You know how it is. You say you’re gonna go for weeks and weeks, but you don’t. You use any excuse in the book to justify not going. It’s too cold. It’s too dark. I’m too tired. I’m too hungry. Suzanne Sommers is on Larry King tonight. Yada, yada, yada. I get to the point where I even annoy myself.

Still…there I am, driving down the freeway, approaching the fork of “to go or not to go”, presenting arguments like I’m the late Johnny Cochran, when suddenly it hits me. Ever since I turned 50, I’ve grown tired of people’s excuses for not getting on with their lives and here I am, committing the same transgression over something so piddly as making myself work out.

I’m ashamed to be so silly. And I focus instead on the pride I know I’ll feel after class. I concentrate on remembering that it’s Tanya’s class—her classes aren’t drudgery—they’re fun! There’s no excuse not to go!

So, I pass my offramp.

Once on the floor, I pick a spot at the outer edge of the back row. And, of course, right off the bat, Tanya maneuvers us so that we’re turned and I’m now at the head of the class, right along side her. Swell. No pressure. I haven’t been in months and I’m practically leading the class. Let’s not even get into the fact that most of the women trail me by eons in age. Not only do I have to follow the moves, I have to fake enthusiastic energy. No huffing and puffing allowed.

And…I get throught it! I do! I do all the complicated stuff! Even the “advanced level” options!

I drive home knowing I am a star. At least, in my own mind. And, at least until the next day when the argument will start anew. Let's just hope Johnny Cochran's on the case again, not Marcia Clark.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

always knew you were a lean mean partyin machine...now the next LA Sexpot! Wow........

Randy said...

Such kind comments from my nephew...