Saturday, August 13, 2005

Bars In The 'Burbs

Note: I wrote this yesterday but didn’t get around to posting it until today. You’ll know why in a minute.

Putting more than two polysyllabic words next to each other while including proper punctuation might cause my head to explode. Oh, shit. See? I was right. Pardon me while I clean up the mess.

Just kidding.

(I’m crackin’ myself up here.)

Anyway, it’s all Penny’s fault. She’s the one who suggested we needed a girls’ night out. Well, four bars, countless cocktails, not enough food later…I’m convinced today (Friday) will never end.

So, Penny’s whining about how much blogspace I’ve given to the topic of writing lately. (Are you liking this post so far, Penny? How about if I blog about the rest of our conversation? Uh-huh. Didn’t think so.) She says I should write a soap opera here, which seemed like a good idea last night but today not so much.

We started with Chapter 8, the new spot in town. I swear, this place is so hip and groovy I could die. At ten o’clock it morphs from a steakhouse to a nightclub, complete with caged go-go dancers (yes, the 60’s are back). But why, oh why, must it be overrun by 20-somethings? And, how the hell do these kids pay $34 for a steak? Had a $9 glass of wine then walked up the rode to the Adobe.

The Adobe is a laid back casual kinda place (although yummy lobster quesedillas are on the menu). Drank margaritas and picked at our dinners before moving on to stop number three, The Martini Bar. More drinks, more conversation, blah, blah, blah and on to the fourth bar.

Right about now Penny’s reading this, thinking: “Four bars? Four bars? But there were only three.” Sorry, dear. After you left, Ann and I decided to hit the Buddha Bar.

So, when did this bedroom community become a magnet for the kinda nightlife one normally has to go through two zip codes to reach? Before you know it, we’ll get an honest-to-goodness concert venue. Oh yeah, forgot. The Canyon Club--where we saw Melissa Manchester a couple weeks ago, and the only bar within walking distance we didn’t make it to last night.

Thank God...I’m pretty sure we’d already killed our quota of brain cells for the evening--as evidenced by this post.

1 comment:

John said...

Good thing you are still in your 20s. Anyone over 40 would really have a difficult time after the night you described. Or is this practice writing from your imagination like your rendition of the luggage thrower? If it is, you have a good imagination.