Wednesday, May 03, 2006

In The News Today...

Did you see Mexico’s President Fox is ready to sign a bill legalizing small amounts of drugs for personal use? Yep, according to the L.A. Times, Mexico’s about a to turn into the college frat party of the century. Oh, don’t worry. There ARE some rules, for goodness sakes. You have to be over the age of eighteen, and you’re limited to amounts like a half gram of coke, several (whatever that means) doses of LSD, and a spoonful of heroin. (Can’t you hear the new version of that old Mary Poppins tune? Sing it with me, altogether now: A spoonful of heroin makes the medicine go down, the medicine go down…)

Before you go thinking this is crazy talk, consider this: the aim of the new legislation is to reduce drug trafficking. Y’know, the old argument about making it legal to remove the market dynamic. Me? I think old Vincente is being as sly as, er, a Fox. Yep, I think there’s a backdoor deal somewhere with the U.S. government. Frankly, the whole thing makes perfect sense, and here’s how we win:

The current influx of Mexican immigrants to our soil will be superceded by the outflux of American immigrants to theirs. What a swap, huh?

I don’t know about you, but I’ll take hard-working Mexicans chasing the American dream over low-life druggies any day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had not heard this very interesting news. Now that you mention it, the 'swapping citizens' thing does make perfect sense!

This entry about legalizing drugs did remind me of something from my teenage years. One summer night when I was sitting on the riverbank with some friends, I declared "You know what, ya’ll? I’ll bet someday we’ll be able to go into the store and buy a pack of joints just like you can buy a pack of cigarettes". Yes, at that point in time I actually believed that someday 'wacky weed' would be legalized. < rolling eyes at my teenage stupidity > The memory did make me smile. Not because I enjoy be reminded of how idiotic my beliefs were way back when, but because that was a time when life was so simple and carefree. Now I’m feeling nostalgic and little bit homesick. I might have to try to track down some of those friends!

--Pam