Monday, March 07, 2005

Celebrity Sighting -- Part One

There I was, at a local nightclub deep in suburbia, twenty miles from Hollywood. It was late and the joint was packed. Suddenly, a friend nudges me and jerks her head toward the end of the bar.

“Look,” she says. “It’s him.”

“Where?” I say, craning my neck. (We’ve heard rumors that he frequents the place during the week.)

“There,” she says. “Next to the brunette.”

Finally, I pick out the man she’s referring to. Yep, it’s him all right. Wow, I think, he looks so different in person.

Minutes later, I sense a wave of movement in the crowd, and I see he’s making his way towards my end of the bar. Just behind me, he stops to say hello to an acquaintance of mine, and I swivel to face him.

“I would never have recognized you,” I tell him.

He smiles but doesn’t say much and eventually moves on.

As he walks away, I put my finger on it. Turns out, I’ve never seen Cliff Clavin* out of uniform before.

Hey, I said I was in deep suburbia. You were expecting Brad Pitt?


Diet update: Yep, it's Monday. Back to square one.


*the mailman on Cheers

3 comments:

John said...

Cliffie lives on Bainbridge Island, about 20 miles from me. One of the other residents is the Professor from Gilligan's Island.

Randy said...

Ah, but the rumor is that he got divorced (is getting divorced?) and moved back to my neck of the woods.

John said...

That is so sad. Edna? divorced him. Must have been all those nights, or maybe he left her for Norm.