Tuesday, March 15, 2005

A Travel Tip

When vacationing in Mexico, you hear a lot about this Montezuma’s revenge thing. “Don’t drink the water,” everyone warns.

Well, personally, I’m too lazy to uncork a bottle for brushing my teeth, and I prefer ice in my cocktails. So, I say: ignore the dire predictions. Drink as much agua as you like. (Besides, a little dehydration translates to a flat stomach which is a good thing, right?)

On the other hand, I’ve learned there’s something else to watch out for and, trust me, you won’t see it mentioned in the guidebooks:

I call it Shoppers’ Knees.

At first, you think you’ve walked too many miles on cobblestone streets in ridiculously high heels. Then, around the second or third day, as you’re spending your 1000th peso with a beach vendor, it suddenly strikes you. You’re kneeling at the edge of the Infinity pool, gazing at Juan’s wares, bargaining him down to a sinfully cheap price. And this takes time. Lots of time. It even takes cocktails. Meanwhile, your poor knees go straight to hell.

So, heed my advice: If you’re gonna spend time shopping from the pool, don’t forget the kneepads. And, remember: tequila is the perfect antidote to whatever’s in that drinking water.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I spent most of my vacation budget shopping while in the pool, drink in hand. What's better than that?